Tuesday, March 3

Some things I've noticed along the way

Heyhey!
I'm bored and procrastinating writing this paper, so I thought I would write some things down here, letting you all know the different lingo and slang they use in Ireland. There's a lot more than I thought!

"maths" = math
"Do you have credit?" = "Can I use your phone?"
"For Let" = "For Rent"
"Off Licence" (different spelling) = "We sell alcohol"
"Carpark" = "parking lot"
"GP" = "Doctor"... stands for General Practitioner
"Tuna (or chicken or egg) Mayo" = "Tuna Salad"
"Ramp" = speed bump
"Notes" = "Bills", like "I have a 50 euro note" or "I have a $20 bill"
"Beer Mat" = a coaster
"Boot" = trunk
"Brilliant" = "cool"
"Crisps" = potato chips
"Chips" = French Fries
"Digestives" are these round graham crackers.. good stuff too
The "first floor" is actually the second floor. "Ground floor" is a first floor.
"Garda" = Police
"Grand" = good; like, "Yeah, everything's grand"
"Hen Night" = Bachelorette Party; my roomies have encountered a few..
"Holiday" = any old vacation...But a "bank holiday" is a legal holiday, like Labor Day or something...
"Jumper" = sweater
"X, Y, and Zed" = "X, Y, and Z"
"A Pitch" = playing field, like, "The rugby pitch is a kilometer away"
"A rubber" = AN ERASER!!!!
"Sellotape" = Scotch tape. When I had to buy scotch tape, I just crossed my fingers that what I was buying was correct, because yes it looked like it, but Sellotape totally threw me off.
"Quay" (pronounced Key) = waterside street
"Queue" (pronounced CUE) = line
"A tick" is a check mark
"To top up" = to refill ANYTHING- a drink, your phone credit...
"To wee or to poo" = to pee or to poop
"Clearway" = the highway
*They use shredded cheese on sandwiches, where there would usually be slices of cheese.
*Exit signs in buildings are Green- makes sense I suppose.
*You could be charged 150 euro for spitting out your gum.

1 comment:

  1. I better start studying these since I'll in in Dublin in A WEEK!!! And...I've actually been to so called "Hen Party" but it wasn't a bachelorette party..it was just an all girl party.

    ReplyDelete