Wednesday, January 28

A few more things...

Just a few more interesting things that I have noticed while staying in Dublin. Many of the people's ideas of the US are skewed a bit. They think that everyone from the US is either from LA or NY. They can't understand that me and my roommates are from small towns in regular ol' states. Yesterday my friend Emma was telling her class that she is from the States, and a girl with bleach blonde hair and orange skin, skinny as a rail (obvi attempting to look like the Hills) says, "Oh, where from?" Emma says, "Colorado." The girl looked SO disappointed and said, "Oh, not LA?" Emma cleverly said back, "No, and not NY either..." HAHA! Like, honestly- how weird is that? I started to think, do I think of Ireland as something it's not? I imagined lots of green- which is has, even in Dublin. And I imagined that Guiness was big, but actually, it's bigger than I previously thought. And while some people back home imagined that everyone in Ireland is drunk all the time, this is not the case. There are many people here, just as at home, who don't care for drinking a lot. I mean, I imagine that the bars here are not much different from the bars in any other big city. I'm interested in going to the smaller pubs in the suburbs though. That, hopefully will be different. One thing that I did not expect, was for every student to be dressed up going to class. It's not common for a girl to be sweatpants at school. Many girls wear heels and dresses and have a good fashion sense. That's fine with me, 'cause I usually don't wear sweats to school either! But that's an interesting tidbit.
Anyway, this weekend I am going to Galway on a Rutgers excursion. I'm really excited because it's one of the most Gaelic-speaking parts of Ireland, aside from Northern Ireland. So, it should be much different than Dublin. We'll take a 3 hour train ride directly across the country, and I'll be there until Sunday! So expect more pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment