Friday, January 30

Traditions

Last night, Caroline, Emma and I went to a little hotel down the street from our house. We went to an event, hosted by UCD, called the Irish House Party. The Irish House Party has a new record out, and they were all too excited to be going to LA next week to show off their talents. This group consisted of 4 people- a national/world champion piper (playing the Uilleann Pipes), an accordionist, a river-dancer, and a funny guitarist. Last night was by far the best night in Dublin thus far. PS- the Uilleann Pipes are not like the Scotish bagpipes. They are not war pipes, and they are played sitting down, while the piper pushes air through the pipes with his elbow ("Uilleann" means "elbow" in Gaelic). Anyway, with 2 free beers (I got Smithwick's= my new favorite beer) the night began. It was an educational experience, with the guitarist Jerry hilariously telling the history of Ireland it's tradition of music. We got to sing songs like Molly Malone, Tu La Ru La Ru La, and When Irish Eyes are Smilin'! We were taught some basic Irish dance steps, and got to dance to the polka songs played in the movie "Titanic." It was so fun, and I could not help but think the whole time, that way back when, I had ancestors who were doing this every night- just enjoying life with the people they love, singing songs and dancing all night long. It sort of reminded me of the Brauckmann Christmas parties -haha!
Also, I keep meaning to mention it, but my mom, Joey, Jake and Shannon look particularly Irish. I saw a girl who looked like you Shannon, and it freaked me out!
Anyway, this morning I took a nice jog to work off the beer in Merrion Square. It was misty out, but what a nice run! This afternoon, I will be on my way to Galway until Sunday! Will update then!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well I am more Irish than you kid! I owe that to the Daly's. Unfortunately, a couple months from now my last name will be striner, not as Irish. You sound like you are having a blast. I miss the crap out of you. HAPPY 21!!

    ReplyDelete