I was asked for my Rhetoric class to write a short narrative, and as you know, narratives are a personal account. Here we go...
Here I am a seven hour plane ride across the Atlantic Ocean, away from the true comforts in my life, looking to my right and then my left before crossing a street, having more coins in my purse than I know what to do with, and living in a city with seemingly no street signs. I schlep my way to UCD everyday, which by the way, is nothing like universities at home. My quaint house by Merrion Gardens has no internet, and little water pressure. I watch more Simpsons and Friends now than I ever have in my entire life. I discovered that if you’re not from LA or NY, you’re not actually from America. (It’s funny, because there is actually more bleached hair and orangey-tan skin here than in America!) And although I could go on and on about how different – and in the first week I would have said shitty – my life is right now, three weeks in I now feel liberated and exultant and adventurous and excited despite the change.
There is no experience like living in another place. Moreover, there is no experience like living in another country. At first it is easy to feel robbed of my personality and personal style, my sense of humor and my money, but really – there is nothing like it in the world! In my first three weeks, I have been truly immersed into another culture, another world. I’ve been living in a place where politics actually matters to the youth of this nation, and prejudice is hardly anywhere to be found. Perhaps it is because I’m American and I have been desensitized to prejudice, but I have had nothing but good experiences with the people of Ireland. They are so helpful and willing to lend a hand at any time. People actually smile at you when walking down the street! My friend left her purse on the seat of the bus, and a man bolted to the door to give it back to her. You’re certainly not guaranteed that in every country. Visiting the west coast of Ireland, I found that they too were amazing people who know what it truly means to preserve culture and tradition. To this day, I have never seen such adoration for one’s own culture back in the USA. It was utterly refreshing!
My first three weeks here in the Emerald Isle have been nothing short of an inspiring experience. Despite the lack of internet and water pressure, the overkill on coins, and the orangey-tan skin, I honestly think that Ireland is an amazing country, rich in culture and tradition, good humor and genuine kindness. I could not have asked for a better country in which to study abroad, or better people with whom to surround myself during this learning and growing experience. Note that the rain hasn’t seemed to bother me yet, despite my prior certainty!
Also, I forgot to mention: a small Brazilian man named Luca came up to me at a club and asked me where I was from, and when I told him the US, he was shocked and he said "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Mariah Carey?" My life has come full circle. He then preceded to tell me that the only woman who has ever called him handsome is his mother. I was sorry to say that I couldn't be woman numero dos.
paaaahaaahaaa
ReplyDelete