Tuesday, February 24

Powerscourt?

Hello all!

Saturday was a good day. It was pretty chilly, but in the morning Emma and I went for a long run in St. Stephen's Green. That park is so beautiful, I did not mind running in it. The lake there had ducks and all the trees are in bloom. The first week of February is the beginning of spring, which it odd, but it does feel like spring some days. Saturday was not one of these days, but the run was quite delightful. Afterwards, the girls and I went to this really cheap produce market. Down by the Jervis Shopping Centre there is a whole street of freelance produce people selling food. They have great deals like 10 apples for 1.50, or 12 plums for 2 euro..or 3 boxes of strawberries for 2 euro! So we brought our backpacks down to the street, where they also have an "under 2 euro" store, like a dollar store. They had a ton of St. Paddy's gear, so we'll have to make a stop there before the holiday. It was cool. Then afterwards we went to the UCD rugby game, UCD vs. Garryowen. Garryowen won I think, 14-7 but we left early because it was so cold! We ambled around campus for a while until we hopped back on the bus to home. That night we went to a place called Devitt's where they had trad (traditional) Irish music. It was a really good craic (good atmosphere). After that we went to Flannery's, and we had a good time. We danced to hits like Thriller and Footloose, but had a good time. On our way home we ran into these two Irish guys, about our age, and we stopped to chat for a bit. They were telling us about their own travels to the U.S., Las Vegas mostly, and how they couldn't drive an automatic car. They had to ask the car rental man for help. I thought that was way weird, but automatics like don't exist over here. Then the one kid started to bug me, 'cause he was trash-talking some Americans. I understand that some are not worldly per se, but c'mon! He was saying that all Americans love to talk about how "Irish" or how "German" or how "Swedish" they are, but they're really just Americans! It's true, so many say "I'm 1/16th Irish.." Needless to say, I did have to defend us a little bit. I mean, Americans did descent from European nations. Of course we're all something-American. But I did understand what he was saying. Another girl he talked with said she was Irish and that her family was from Edinburg, which is in...Scotland. So he was a bit frustrated. Most of the conversation was half-joking around though and he does have a point in saying that Americans are generally uptight considering I was sort of arguing every thing he said. HAHA! Anyway, they were nice and they showed us how to get back home. Sean and Campbell. Good times.
Sunday we went to Powerscourt, where there falls Ireland's tallest waterfall! We got there late though and we missed the opening times. Total bummer!! So we ended up just putzing around Powerscourt and Enniskerry. It wasn't too far from Dublin anyway.
The pictures are in my Picasa album, so check them out!! LOVE
Powerscourt & Glendalough 1

No comments:

Post a Comment